Nature Reserve & Biological Station
Tropical Field Studies & Conservation
During this biological internship students take part in the research projects in the reserve and assist in our tropical field studies. Interns help collecting data for various research projects and will thereby gain theoretical and practical knowledge in tropical ecology and obtain hands-on research skills. Furthermore the participation in our reforestation project and planning of environmental education workshops directly supports our conservation efforts.
Interns will assist in the following projects:
- Lepidopteran project (studying the diversity of butterflies with bait traps and nets)
- Monitoring with camera traps (studying the diversity of mammals and ground birds)
- Long-term bird monitoring (constant effort mist netting and bird banding, bird census)
- Research on flower ecology and hummingbird-plant pollination networks
- Reforestation project (monitoring of seed germination and sapling growth)
- Planning of environmental education workshops for local kids
- Assistance in research projects of other students or researchers
- Data management (data entry and analysis)
You can start an internship preferably on the following dates:
Please contact us if none of these dates works for you and you need to discuss other possibilities.
Furthermore, we recommend to combine the internship with the participation in the tropical ecology & conservation course. Interns who participate in the course before starting their internship will receive a 50$ credit.
The internship can last between 4 and 24 weeks. Costs depend on the duration of stay.
Duration of stay Rate per week Rate per month
First 4 weeks 249,75 US $ 999,- US $
Week 5 to 12 217,25 US $ 869,- US $
Week 13 to 24 203,50 US $ 814,- US $
The rate for an internship covers the costs for food (three meals per day), lodging in a double room (bunk bed), use of the station’s facilities and WiFi, the lab and research equipment, professional supervision and taxes.
What's not included?
Airfare, travel and health insurance, snacks, visa fees, transport to the reserve, laundry service, weekend trips
We learned a lot about the wonders of the ecosystem rainforest and will never forget the wonderful time we had...
Peggy & Nora, Germany